Wish List – SS17
I already have a whole bunch of really awesome gear, but it happens every year when the sun comes out … and SS17 has already bought a whole load more “must have” cool things that I definitely need right away. Being realistic, these things are more like “nice to haves” .. actually “very nice to haves” and are gonna take some saving up for.
When I’m out exploring, looking for sanctuary outdoors, and being at one with nature, this stuff is not essential. This wish list represents some really well designed and manufactured items that I would love to own though.
I have a number of expeditions planned already for this year, the first jaunt is going to be around St Michael’s Mount (pictured above), this is going to be a kayaking trip and I want to scan the surrounding area and mark way-points for any interesting reefs or ship wrecks (using sonar/GPS). The trip is also guaranteed to throw up some excellent scenery/wildlife photo opportunities. I am already geared up for this trip, but the wish list below, yeeeeahhhh…. would be nice!
LUMIX G Compact System Camera DC-GH5M
The DC-GH5M is a sharp shooting Panasonic Compact System Camera delivering the world’s first 4K/60P video recording on a compact system camera (pretty damn awesome). This hi-spec camera also takes 6K photographs which would allow me to grab pixel perfect images for my blog and my Instagram.
- 20.3 Megapixel – Digital Live MOS Sensor
- 4K/60p – Video Recording
- 6K PHOTO – 6K 30fps, 4K 60fps
- Weight – 725 grams
- Retail Sales Price – £1,899.99
Wilderness Systems Thresher 140 Kayak
My friend Rob over at Cornish Shore & Kayak Fisherman has one of the new Wilderness Systems Thresher 140 fishing kayaks. I don’t mind admitting that I’ve got some serious kayak envy too. I am most impressed with the factory kit-out which includes the center pod, the sonar mount pod (absolutely genius), and the rail system on each side. Wilderness Systems have absolutely nailed it with this kayak, an excellent design all round.
- Length: 14’3″ / 434 cm
- Width: 29″ / 73 cm
- Boat Weight: 75 lbs. / 34 kg
- Max Capacity: 400 lbs. / 181 kg
- Retail Sales Price – £1,449.95
Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro
With advanced technologies including wide spectrum CHIRP DownVision™ and all weather optically bonded displays; the Dragonfly 7 Pro lets you spend more time catching fish and less time looking for them. Dragonfly 7 Pro with GPS built in gives you the choice of Navionics, C-MAP by Jeppesen or Raymarine LightHouse compatible charts. The CHIRP downvision imaging would be perfect for detailed exploration of wrecks and reefs…. IWOOT … right now.
- Display Size: 7.0 in
- Display Resolution: 800 x 480 WVGA
- Waterproofing Standard: IPX6 and IPX7
- Chart Compatibility: LightHouse vector and raster charts | Navionics Gold, Plus, Hotmaps and SonarChart | C-MAP by Jeppesen
- Waypoints: 3,000 waypoints (split between up to 100 waypoint groups)
- Retail Sales Price – from £695.99
Shimano Tranx A Baitcaster Reel
I have been looking for a Baitcaster reel for a while now for vertical jigging from the kayak, and being a long time advocate of Shimano, of course I’d look to them first. The new Shimano Tranx A Reel is designed as a ‘working machine for big fish’. It’s a heavy duty low profile baitcasting reel which is the only one of it’s kind in the Shimano EU range. It’s a very strong, durable and reliable reel which is suitable for both fresh and salt water purposes.
- Family Type: Baitcasting
- Models: 300A, 300HG A, 301A, 301HG A, 400A, 400HG A, 401A, 401HG A
- Bearings: 5 Shielded A-RB & 1 roller bearing
- Handle: Double handle
- Body material: Diecast aluminium
- RETRIEVE RANGE (CM): 75-100
- DRAGPOWER RANGE (KG): 8-10
- WEIGHT RANGE (G): 330-340
- Retail Sales Price – from £379.00
Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 – 3 Man Tent
The Copper Spur HV UL series is designed with a high volume hub to maximize strength and increase living space without adding weight. Large dual zipper doors and steep wall architecture make backcountry trips with a smelly partner – or three – more comfortable than you may have thought possible. Big Agnes’ proprietary patterned double rip-stop nylon fabric is incredibly durable, to stand up to my biggest adventures.
- Vestibule Area: 9 / 9 sqft / 0.8 / 0.8 sqm
- Trail Weight: 3lb 7oz / 1.56kg
- Packed Weight: 3lb 14oz / 1.76kg
- Packed Size: 4.5″ x 20″ / 11 x 51cm
- Number of Seasons: 3
- Number of Doors: 2
- Footprint Weight: 8oz / 227g
- Floor Area: 41 sqft / 3.8 sqm
- Fast Fly Weight: 1.25kg
- Retail Sales Price – from £499.95